Monday, January 26, 2015

A "Lace Piece" Cap

1860s Breakfast Caps can be quite simple and decorative.  I like this one because it is so straightforward without a lot of fuss and muss. In fact, I make my caps very similar to this design from Godey’s Lady's Book, July 1860. It is called the "Nell Gwynne" and is simply a "lace piece" gathered at the top with a bow.

I like to make mine a little fussier so I can use it as both a breakfast and day cap. Below is a photo of a cap I made for myself.
  
This is how it looks from the front. As you can see, it sits gracefully on top of my hairstyle without disturbing it. 

This is the back view of the same cap. Lace and ribbon make for a pretty and useful head covering. My hair is fairly short, so not only is this cap fun to wear, but it covers my modern haircut.

If you like this, I have made other caps similar to the Godey’s print and the cap I am wearing and they are listed in my Etsy shop!

Listed in my shop this week!


No comments:

Post a Comment